Job & Family Services Office of Legal and Acquisition Services

How to Request a State Hearing 

You can ask for a state hearing if you disagree with what we are doing or think we are making a mistake. At your hearing, a county or state representative will explain the reason(s) for this action.  You, or someone helping you, can explain the reason(s) why you don't think the decision is right.  The hearing officer will send you a decision after the hearing.

If you want a hearing, we must receive your request 90 days from the date this notice was mailed to you.  If the 90thday falls on a holiday or weekend, the deadline will be the next work day. If we receive your hearing request within 15 days of the notice mail date, we will not stop or lower until a hearing decision is issued.  (Exception:  Food assistance will not continue outside the certification period.) A hearing officer will send you a decision after the hearing.  Here are the ways to send us your hearing request:

Online by clicking here.

Phone – Call the ODJFS Consumer Access Line at 866-635-3748. Follow the instructions for State Hearings.

Email – bsh@jfs.ohio.gov. In the subject, put “State Hearing Request."

Fax – (614) 728-9574

Mail – ODJFS Bureau of State Hearings, P.O. Box 182825, Columbus, Ohio 43218-2825 

Contact your caseworker – It is much better to send the request by one of the ways listed above.

Have your information available - Please include the following information in your request or have it ready when you call:

  1. First name and last name.
  2. Address where you receive mail.
  3. Case number.
  4. Phone number where you can be reached.
  5. Date you received your notice (if that applies).
  6. Program(s) you want to request you hearing for.
  7. County that took the action.
  8. Why you want a hearing (a brief summary). 

On the day of the state hearing: You, or someone else helping you with your case, can explain the reason(s) why you don’t think the decision is right. A County Department of Job and Family Services or State Medicaid representative will explain the reasons. Then, the State hearing officer will make a decision after the hearing. 

You can ask your local Legal Aid program for free help with your case. Contact your local Legal Aid office by phoning 1-866-LAW-OHIO (1-866-529-6446) or by searching the Legal Aid directory at http://www.ohiolegalhelp.org/find-legal-help/ on the internet.

For more information about what happens after you request a state hearing, click here.