Job & Family Services Office of Child Support
Office of Child Support - Services



Location is used to obtain information on, or to facilitate the discovery of, any individual for the purpose of establishing parentage, or establishing, modifying, or enforcing a child support order.

Please visit our Location home page for additional information

[Back to Top]  

Paternity Establishment  

Paternity means legal fatherhood.  Paternity establishment is how a biological father becomes the legal father of his child if he and the mother are not married. Paternity can be established before the child becomes 23 years old. Paternity can be determined even if the other parent lives in another state or a foreign country.  

In Ohio, if a woman is married at the time of birth or at any time during the 300 days prior to birth, the husband is presumed to be the natural father of the child unless paternity is established for the biological father. 

If a child’s parents are not married to each other when the child is born, that child does not have a legal father. Paternity must be established to create a legal relationship between a father and child and before the father’s name can appear on the birth certificate. For unmarried parents in Ohio, paternity can be established one of three ways:

  1. Completing and signing an Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit (JFS 07038)  
  2. Genetic testing, followed by an Administrative Order Establishment of Paternity (JFS 07774) at your local child support enforcement agency  
  3. A court order of paternity  

Please visit our Paternity Establishment home page for additional information.

[Back to Top]

Establishment of a Support Order  

If a person does not already receive support, the child's parent, guardian, legal custodian, or the person with whom the child lives (considered the residential parent) can contact the CSEA for assistance in obtaining an order for the payment of child support and health care for the child(ren).

Support orders can sometimes be established by the CSEA without going to court. If it is necessary to go through the court, the CSEA will assist you in obtaining a child support order.

To determine the amount of support a parent is required to pay, the CSEA or the court will use the "Ohio Child Support Guidelines" as a guide. Both parents must provide verification of their incomes for the past six months or provide their most recent income tax returns.

Please visit our Support Establishment home page for additional information. 

 [Back to Top]

Seek Work Order  

If an obligor under a support order is unemployed, has no income, or does not have an account at any financial institution, the court or CSEA may issue an order for that individual to seek employment or engage in work activities. Most seek work orders include a requirement to notify the CSEA upon obtaining employment or any other income.

Pursuant to changes to ORC Section 3121.03, courts or agencies issuing seek work orders after September 28, 2015 are required to include in the order, a requirement that the obligor register with Ohio Means Jobs (OMJ).

This free online career and employment center is operated by Ohio Department of Job and Family Services at OhioMeansJobs.com. Individuals registered with OMJ can create and post a resume for employers to see, view and apply to job openings, get interviewing tips, and take online tutorials and skill assessments. An informational flyer (JFS 08021) has been created which provides more details on this new requirement, as well as, instructions for registering on the Ohio Means Jobs website. 

[Back to Top]


Your county Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) can provide services to you if you have an intergovernmental case. A case is intergovernmental when one party lives in a state or country different from the other, when a court order is in a state or country other than the one where both parties live, or when there is more than one support order covering the same parties. Each state and territory of the USA uses the same law to process intergovernmental cases. It is called the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) and you can see more information about this law by clicking on the link below. Your CSEA can also assist you if a party to the case lives in another country or on a tribal reservation. 

Please visit our Interstate/Intergovernmental home page for additional information.

[Back to Top]

Medical Support  

The CSEA is responsible for establishing and enforcing health insurance orders for child support cases when coverage is available and reasonable or expected to become available. Health insurance coverage is considered available and reasonable if it can be obtained by a parent through the parent's employer or other group health insurance plan. Health insurance includes fee for service, health maintenance organizations (HMO), preferred provider organizations (PPO), and other types of coverage that could provide medical services to the child. Other group coverage may include, but is not limited to, retirement, disability, or union plans.

The CSEA is required to send a National Medical Support Notice to the employer of the medical insurance obligor (MI Obligor) when new or changed employment occurs. This federally required notice is designed to help obtain health insurance for children for whom there are medical support orders. The employer must send the NMSN to the health plan administrator in 20 business days, unless the employer doesn't provide insurance. The health plan administrator will enroll the children 20 business days after receiving the NMSN, unless there is a waiting period or there is more than one health insurance plan option. In those cases, enrollment takes place when the waiting period ends or the plan option is selected.

Please visit our Medical Support home page for additional information.

[Back to Top]

Change to a Child Support Order (Review and Adjustment of an Order)  

Either parent or guardian can ask for a change in the order. Child support orders can be reviewed every 36 months from the date the order was established or the date of the last review. Some orders can be reviewed sooner than the required time frame if certain circumstances are met.

"Review" means that a caseworker looks at both parties' income information to see if child support should be changed or if health insurance should be added or changed.

"Adjustment" means an upward or downward change in the amount of child support based on the application of the Ohio guidelines. It also means adding or changing provisions for the child(ren)'s health care needs through health insurance.

Please visit our Review and Adjustment home page for more information.

[Back to Top]

Enforcement of an Order  

Whenever a support order is initiated or modified, a general provision requires any payor of a non-residential parent to withhold a specified amount to be applied to the child support order. Income withholding is part of a support order and established at the time the order was issued. This can change over the lifetime of the order depending on the types of income available for withholding, the work status of the parent paying support, and the availability of assets to pay the child support obligation.

Income Withholding is the best enforcement method for the collection of ordered child support. This method is mandatory and applies to almost all types of income-not just wages. The word "income" includes, but is not limited to:

  • personal earnings
  • workers' compensation payments
  • unemployment compensation benefits
  • pensions
  • annuities
  • allowances
  • private or governmental retirement benefits
  • disability or sick pay
  • insurance proceeds
  • lottery prize awards
  • any form of trust fund or endowment
  • lump-sum payments
  • assets in a financial institution
  • any other payment in money

Please visit our Income Withholding home page our Direct Interstate Income Withholding home page and our Federal Institution Data Match (FIDM) home page for additional information.

Tax Offset is an enforcement method for the collection of federal and/or state tax refunds of the non-residential parent to satisfy past-due child support (arrears). The state tax offset program can also be used to collect overpaid child support in specific situations.

Please visit our Tax Offset - Injured Spouse Claims frequently asked questions document for additional information regarding tax offset.

Other Enforcement Methods - It is the responsibility of the CSEA administering the order to monitor payment of the obligation. If payment of the current obligation falls behind, there are a variety of measures to collect past-due support.
Examples of other measures that do not require court action include:

  • Credit reporting
  • Professional license suspension
  • Increase in the amount of income withholding to pay arrears
  • If the non-residential parent has no income or assets, the CSEA can get an order requiring the parent to seek work.
  • Intercept of Ohio lottery or Racino/Casino winnings when a case is in default and specific criteria are met.

If an individual fails to comply with a required action and enforcement by a court becomes necessary, the court can hold the person in contempt. Contempt penalties can increase with each offense and include fines and/or jail time or other remedies that the court finds appropriate. Some of the reasons a person can be cited for contempt are:

  • Disobeying a judgment or order of the court
  • Failure to obey a subpoena or refusal to answer as a witness
  • Failure to appear in court as required
  • Failure to submit to genetic testing
  • Failure to comply with the provisions of a child support order

Child support can also be enforced by the use of criminal statutes. The state statute in Ohio provides for criminal penalties, including fines and/or a jail or prison sentence, depending on the length of time of the non-payment.

Federal law also provides for criminal non-support to be prosecuted, if certain criteria are present. For a misdemeanor federal offense, the non-payment must be willful, the obligation must be unpaid for at least one year or be greater than $5,000, and the offender and the child must reside in different states. Possible penalties for this offense include imprisonment for up to six months and/or a fine, and mandatory restitution of the total unpaid support obligation.

[Back to Top]

Collections and Disbursement  

Child Support Payment Central (CSPC) was developed by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS), Office of Child Support (OCS), in response to Federal legislation mandating the implementation and operation of a state disbursement unit (SDU) for collecting and disbursing child support payments. All child support payments must be processed by CSPC.

Please visit our Child Support Payment Central (CSPC) home page for additional information.

[Back to Top]

Termination of Support  

When there is an order for child support the residential parent is required to notify the CSEA when there is any reason that the support for that child should terminate. The CSEA will initiate a termination investigation to determine if in fact the child support order should terminate.

Please visit our Termination of Support home page for additional information.

[Back to Top]

Termination of Services  

A CSEA can terminate IV-D services or support enforcement program services (SEPS). When only IV-D services are terminated the CSEA will continue to provide SEPS and the case is considered a non-IV-D case. The CSEA must continue providing SEPS as long as there is a duty of support for the child. 

A CSEA can terminate IV-D services or support enforcement program services (SEPS). When only IV-D services are terminated the CSEA will continue to provide SEPS and the case is considered a non-IV-D case. The CSEA must continue providing SEPS as long as there is a duty of support for the child.

Please visit our Termination of Services home page for additional information.

[Back to Top

Related Services a CSEA Does Not Provide   

Visitation/Custody issues - This is an area that is determined by the court.

Divorce - Any divorce actions, including property settlements, must be filed in court.

Alimony (spousal support) Establishment - The CSEA is not authorized to establish a spousal support order.

Pregnant Women - Services cannot be provided for an unborn child. 

[Back to Top]

Last Reviewed 01/12/2022