Job & Family Services Agriculture

We strive to assist you, an agricultural employer, to find the talent you need each season. Our migrant and seasonal farm worker outreach representatives can search for workers both in- and out-of state. We encourage you to take advantage of the OhioMeansJobs centers' labor exchange services to find job seekers who are willing to fill temporary agricultural and food processing positions. Agricultural industries include orchards, fisheries, forestry, plan nurseries, greenhouses, vegetable, fruit, dairy, poultry, and livestock farms.

Who is an agricultural employer?

As defined by USDOL-Occupational Safety and Health Administration, an agricultural employer is any person, corporation, association, or other legal entity that:

- Owns or operates an agricultural establishment;
- Contracts with the owner or operator of an agricultural establishment in advance of production for the purchase of a crop and exercises substantial control over production; or
- Recruits and supervises employees or is responsible for the management an condition of an agricultural establishment.

An agricultural establishment is a business operation that uses paid employees in the production of food, fiber, or other materials such as seed, seedlings, plants, or parts of plants.

How do I find workers?

1) Post a job on OhioMeansJobs.com free, quickly, and easily. This includes agricultural employment opportunities.

2) Follow up with our Migrant Outreach Staff who are available to help you recruit labor. They can also help with out-of-state recruitment through the Agricultural Recruitment System. 

What is required?

Workplace posters. Statutes and regulations enforced by the U.S. Department of Labor require that notices be posted in the workplace.

Visit Ohio.gov for a list of state agencies for information on:

- housing
 licensing requirements (Department of Health),
- water and sewage standards (Environmental Protection Agency), and
- other resources found under the Department of Agriculture.

Note: Farm labor contractors must apply for, and be approved for, either a Farm Labor Contractor (FLC) or a Farm Labor Contractor Employee (FLCE) Certificate of Registration by the US Department of Labor. Read more the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act (MSPA) and get Form WH-530 to apply for the Certificate of Registration.

Reminder: be sure to complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form for each person you hire. Both employers and employees must complete this form. 

COVID-19 Safety Videos

Medidas de Seguridad del COVID-19 Para los Trabajadores de Agricultura Migrantes y Temporeros - YouTube

COVID-19 Safety Measures for Ohio's Migrant & Seasonal Farmworker Community - YouTube

Helpful Links

Migrant & Seasonal Worker Toolkit



Last reviewed: 04/14/2021