New hires must be certified under one or more of the target groups to receive a federal tax credit:
- Unemployed Veterans (including disabled veterans)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipients
- Food Stamp (SNAP) recipients
- Designated Community Residents (living in Empowerment Zones or Rural Renewal Counties)
- Vocational Rehabilitation Referred individuals
- Supplemental Security Income recipients
- Summer Youth Employees (living in Empowerment Zones)
- Long-term Unemployed
Please refer to DOL's eligible new hires page and chart on the certification criteria for more information.
Read how tax credits are calculated. Use the WOTC Calculator to see how much your business can earn in tax credits.
Last Updated: 10/29/2016