Ohio Refugee Resettlement Agencies conduct the actual work of resettling refugees in Ohio. Staff from these nonprofit organizations:
- Meet refugees at the airport.
- Find them housing, clothing, and household goods.
- Help them apply for cash, medical, and food stamp assistance from the local county department of job and family services.
- Arrange for their comprehensive health screening.
- Enroll them in classes to learn English, American culture, work skills, and eventually the skills and information needed to pass the citizenship test.
- Help them overcome problems and barriers to successful employment and integration into American life.
These agencies are affiliated with national organizations called voluntary resettlement agencies (Volags) and receive funding from a variety of sources: