Job & Family Services Office of Unemployment Insurance Operations
In order to best protect confidential and other important data, the ODJFS website will no longer support several outdated web browsers. Effective December 5, Internet Explorer 6 or older, Opera 4 or older and Netscape Navigator will no longer work on ODJFS sites that are https-enabled. Individuals can download the most recent version of Internet Explorer here and the most recent version of Opera here.

Ohio has two ways to file an application for Unemployment Compensation Benefits: Link to Translations

  • File online at, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Service may be limited during nightly system updating. Check the website for available services. Please be sure to follow the instructions.  If you do not have access to a computer, visit your local library or OhioMeansJobs Center where computers are available for public use.  A list of OhioMeansJobs Centers can be found at:
  • Call toll-free 1-877-644-6562 or TTY 1-888-642-8203, (excluding holidays) Monday through Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

To apply for Unemployment Benefits, you will need:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your driver's license or state ID number
  • Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address
  • Name, address, telephone number, and dates of employment with each employer you worked for during the past 6 weeks
  • The reason you became unemployed from each employer
  • Dependents' names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth
  • If claiming dependents, your spouse's name, Social Security number, and birth date
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, alien registration number and expiration date
  • Your regular occupation and job skills
    You may also have to provide:
  • If you had out-of-state employment, have worked for the federal government, or are separated from military service, more information is required, including:
    • Form DD-214, member 4 copy (for military service)
    • SF-8 or SF-50 form (for federal government employment)

What happens when you call the toll-free number:  

When you call the 1-877-644-6562 number, you will be asked to choose one of the following number options:

  1. Press #1 for assistance with unemployment applications.
  2. Press #2 if you are calling to file for weeks of benefits, for payment information, or to ask about the status of a previously filed claim.
  3. Press #3 if you are responding to a statement of overpayment you received in the mail or a notice of change in work-search requirements and are required to register for employment services.
  4. If you do not have a touch-tone phone, stay on the line and your call will be put through to a customer service representative.

Once your application has been filed:

  • You will receive further information by mail or e-mail.  E-mail will be sent from
  • Your claim will be assigned to a Processing Center, based on the last four digits of the your Social Security number. Click here for a list of Processing Centers by Social Security number.
  • If filing online and you need your Personal Identification Number (PIN) reset, please call toll-free 1-866-962-4064.